Friday, October 31, 2008

Tuition on the Rise

Everyone is aware of the Economies current downward spiral. The Government has made an effort to help homeowners, but now students are the target. Justin Pope, of the Austin American Statesman, wrote a fabulous article about the average tuition across the states. As a student I am very unhappy about the increase because it eliminates my chance at pursuing my education.

The US Government has met its match when it comes to the economy. People across the nation are suffering tremendously. Jobs and dreams are vanishing as quickly as camera flash. I can speak from the heart on this one, facing some sacrifices of my own. All the while, I am a student trying to make a better life for myself by seeking an education. How can I continue to attend school if it keeps rising as the income is dwindling?

Justin says the average college tuition increase is 6.4 percent for in-state students, 5.9 percent for private schools, and 4.95 percent right here at the University of Texas. Concordia University at Austin students took a blow with 8.4 percent! You know, I agree with Justin in that we are crawling deeper in debt and the government wants to keep taking and taking. He reported that Campus Officials wanted to seek higher figures and Gov. David Dewhurst intervened and limited the increase to a more reasonable figure. Finally, someone put their foot down! The least they could do is ease us into it, instead of throwing us right in. You want people withdrawing from class all over the nation?

I am a homeowner, I have debt, bills to pay, working full time and going to school full time. As if that’s not enough I am downsizing because of the current mortgage issues. I am a waitress, who makes a living solely from tips, and work is slow. All of these life events are the result of the economy going into the crapper. I am working toward a degree so I can make more money and live worry free. Now, tuition is going up and it didn’t come in small increments either. How in the world am I supposed to go to school if I can’t afford it and if there is not enough funds for federal aid? We are seriously slowly fading away. Take everything I own, but the government does not have the right to take away my opportunity to further my education. What is this world coming to? I feel like the US Government is sitting back watching everything we have worked so hard for fall apart at the seams. Someone needs to do something fast before we all end up in another Great Depression, GOD FORBID!


http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/nation/10/30/1030college.html

1 comment:

Gabbynaustin23 said...

I agree with you on the rising tuition prices. How are students who pay their own way through college not supposed to be scared about how this is going to effect their future?! I really related to your blog because I worry about having to come up with more money for tuition on top of the other bills I have including my new mortgage payment. I don’t think the government has a right to raise this cost, if anything they need to lower it because as of right now there is no way I could even afford to go to a university with the cost of tuition. Hopefully the New Year will bring change in our government and economy. I also believe if we all stand together and use our voices that we will be heard by our government, and will get the relief and education that we deserve and that so many have received before us.